One of the City’s most private and prestigious social clubs, it is also home to a beautiful 18 hole golf course. Formed in 1903 by a group of hunting enthusiast with no club house to call their own. The group purchased 160 acres of rich, arable farmland southeast of the city and two years later, the first clubhouse of the Game Club was officially opened by Lord Oglivey, within a few years, the Hunt Club was the gathering place for most of the region’s important men and women.
Under the guidance of Phinneus LeDuc, much of the City’s outlying regions were purchased and designated the Greenbelt. This nature preserve encapsulated the entirety of the Game Club, and while LeDuc pleaded and prodded for the Club to be relocated, the membership was well connected, and the Clubhouse and surrounding acres remained private property, on the condition that they revoke all hunting on their grounds and throughout the Green Belt where hunting is illegal.
When the First World War broke out, all activities were suspended, and the Clubhouse doors bolted until 1916. When they came back the Club had a new dream – an 18-hole golf course. In 1920, Thomas Stuart, Jr., one of the leading golf architects in the world at that time, was hired to design a course on Club property.
Since than not much has changed, that is after-all part of the appeal. Begrudgingly membership has been extended to the various social pariah of their generations, the Irish, The Blacks, the Jews and more recently the Oriental. Pressures from a growing membership and changing social habits also drove a major Clubhouse renovation recently, much to the dismay of those families with long holding memberships. Still, while the face may change, but not the heart and soul.